BIBL 471 - Biblical Archaeology
Liberty University StudentsThere are two styles of Chicago/Turabian (also called Society for Biblical Literature or SBL) formatting. For Biblical Studies courses Liberty prefers the Notes/Bibliography style, which has you place a footnote at the bottom of each page where a resource is quoted or paraphrased (NOT end-notes), and then have an alphabetically organized bibliography at the end of your paper. The Notes/Bibliography style is found in chapters 16 and 17 of the Turabian Manual, and is also called Chicago/Turabian: Humanities style by some databases (such as Ebsco) that provide suggested citations. Whenever you use suggested citations from a database, be sure to check that they are properly capitalized, italicized, Times New Roman 12 point (NOT Arial), etc.
The other Chicago/Turabian Author/Date style is much more like APA formatting and looks like this (Smith 1980, 34). Do not use this style for Liberty papers in this class. Examples for this style are found in chapters 18 and 19 of the Turabian Manual. This style uses parenthetical "in-text" citations style and has a reference list at the end of the paper.
- Kate L. Turabian’s Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations presents the Chicago Manual of Style
- Alexander, Patrick, John F. Kutsko, and Shirley Decker-Lucke. The SBL Handbook of Style: For Ancient Near Eastern, Biblical, and Early Christian Studies. Peabody, Mass.: Hendrickson, 1999. Society for Biblical Literature (SBL).
Use these helpful guides
to format your paper in Turabian. Choose the one that suits you
- Turabian Tutorial. Interactive
- Turabian Basic Guide. PDF
- Turabian-Style Citation Guide. PDF
- Turabian colored example guide.PDF
- Guide for Turabian formatting. Website
- Turabian Formatting Workshop. 28 min Video
- Setup a Turabian paper in MSWord. Video
- How to Insert a Footnote in MSWord. Video
- Student Supplement for Turabian for biblical studies. (SBL) PDF
- ETURABIAN: This is a great tool to help put your footnotes in the proper format. The Service is free but you will need to set up a username and password.
- ZOTERO: A helpful footnote tool is the free Firefox plug-in called Zotero. It is used for automatically inserting footnotes into your papers and automatically creating your bibliography and keeping it up to date with any new footnotes you add. You can follow the instructional videos online to set it up. There are also YouTube videos that will help. There are also a necessary word processor plugins, available for Microsoft Word and LibreOffice, OpenOffice and NeoOffice. This will allow you to place footnotes into your papers automatically. Word processor plugins are available here. Gather bibliographic information off of sites like Amazon.com and insert the footnote into your paper with a few clicks of your mouse. If you use Zotero then select their Citation Style: "Chicago Manual of Style (full note)."
Modified October 6, 2016. Copyright © 2014 Dr. David E. Graves